|MHCC Head Start 10100 NE Prescott St. Portland, OR 97220|
Publications, Parent Bulletin and more
Asparagus, ASPARAGUS TACOS Recipe
This month, we are learning all about asparagus. Asparagus can be found in green, purple and white! Asparagus is delicious raw or cooked. It’s best to eat asparagus fresh, within a few days of purchase. Asparagus cooks quickly and is easy to prepare. Try roasting asparagus with olive oil and a little salt, or grill asparagus and add a squeeze of lime. You can also try tender, raw asparagus in salads with lemon and cheese...
- Choose asparagus that is smooth and firm with tightly packed buds.
- Avoid asparagus that is brown or limp.
- Store asparagus in the refrigerator. Wrap the bottoms in a wet paper towel, to help keep the asparagus fresh.
- Eat asparagus within 2-3 days for best flavor.
ASPARAGUS TACOS, SERVES 6
- 2 lbs. asparagus (2 bunches)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 package corn tortillas or homemade tortillas
Optional, to serve:
Cotija or another crumbly white cheese
Lime, Avocado sliced.
- Chop or snap off the tough, woody root end of each asparagus spear. Wash and pat dry.
- Cut each asparagus spear in half.
- Put a large, wide pan on the stove and bring to medium heat. Add the olive oil and move the pan to coat in oil.
- Add the asparagus and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Test the asparagus (it should be a little firm).
- Add a small sprinkling of salt for flavor.
- Heat the corn tortillas in a microwave or one-by-one on a hot pan, if preferred.
- Make your taco by filling a tortilla with asparagus and whatever toppings you like. Crumbled cheese, a squeeze of lime, and a slice of avocado is delicious!
KIDS CAN COOK: ASPARAGUS
Kids can help prepare asparagus by:
- Snapping off the tough ends of
- Chopping cooked asparagus with a plastic or ceramic knife.
- Using hands, toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper to prepare asparagus for roasting.
|Category: Recipes | Added by: Admin (2014-05-06)