|MHCC Head Start 10100 NE Prescott St. Portland, OR 97220|
Publications, Parent Bulletin and more
Beets, RAINBOW CRUNCH SALAD Recipe
This month we are learning all about beets. Beets are a root vegetable that can be eaten raw, cooked, or pickled. You can eat the greens, too! Try beets raw in a salad, as in the recipe below. Or, roast beets with skins on in the oven at 375° for about 40 minutes. Beets are available year-round. You can find them at farmer’s markets from May through December.....
- Look for smooth, hard beets, without cuts and bruises.
- When possible, choose fresh beets with green tops still attached. Greens should look healthy and green, not wilted or brown.
- Store beets in a plastic bag.
- Beets will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Beet greens should be used within a few days.
- Choose low-sodium or no salt added canned beets.
RAINBOW CRUNCH SALAD*
(Beet and Carrot Salad with Citrus Dressing) SERVES 4-6
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp. honey or brown sugar
- Juice of 1 large lemon (2-3 Tbs.)
- Juice of ½ large orange (2-3 Tbs.)
- ¼ tsp. salt or to taste
- 3/4 pound carrots (mix of colors, if possible), grated
- 3/4 pound raw beets, grated
MAKE DRESSING: Measure lemon and orange juices into a medium bowl. Add grated ginger and honey/brown sugar and whisk to combine. Add ¼ tsp. salt, or to taste.
MAKE SALAD: Add grated carrots to the bowl and stir to combine. Add beets and mix lightly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
* Adapted from Alison Forrest, Food Service Director, Huntington, VT
KIDS CAN COOK: BEETS
Kids can help prepare beets by:
- Grating –Instruct your child to stop grating when they get close to the holes, and help them by using an adult hand over a child hand while they are learning.
- Mixing a dressing
- Chopping cooked beets with a plastic or ceramic knife
- Combining carrots and beets in the rainbow crunch salad
Download in English, Spanish, Russian
|Category: Recipes | Added by: Admin (2014-04-03)